The GoPro App is a free app that allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to remotely control your HD HERO 2 or HERO 3 camera. You can fully control your camera with this app from a remote distance including camera settings and even video preview. Let’s face it, there are times when you want to set up your camera in a certain spot to take pictures or videos and it isn’t always feasible for you to be standing there holding the camera, whether it be because you want to be in the shot or because space is limited. That’s where the GoPro App comes in, you set up your camera where you want it and you can remotely control your camera to set up the perfect shot.
The GoPro App is compatible with the HERO 3 White and Silver Edition cameras and the HD HERO 2 camera. Before using the app with your camera you will need an update depending on the camera you have. For the HERO 3 cameras you will need to update your product software from HERO’s site and for the HD HERO 2 cameras you will need a software update that updates the software and Wi-Fi Bacpac. Once you get those updates done according to which camera you have you’ll be ready to use this handy app.
Tablet and Phone Compatibility
The GoPro App works with most smartphones and tablets, both Apple and Android.
● iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S (iOS 4.3, 5 & 6)
● iPod Touch 4 (iOS 4.3, 5 & 6)
● iPad 1, 2 & 3 (iOS 4.3,5 & 6)
● HTC Thunderbolt or other Android 2.2-2.3 & 4.x devices
● Motorola Droid X2 or other Android 2.2-2.3 & 4.x devices
● Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G or other Android 2.2-2.3 & 4.x devices
● Samsung Galaxy Tablet (Android 3.1)
● Samsung Galaxy Tablet or other Android 2.2-2.3, 3.1 & 4.x devices
● Google Nexus 7 or other Android 2.2-2.3 & 4.x devices
● HTC One X or other Android 2.2-2.3 & 4.x devices
See What Your Camera Sees
Upon first opening the app you will choose from the Connect + Control, Video of the Day and Photo of the Day. When you choose the Connect + Control, this is where you will be able to remotely control your camera. Once you are in you will see on your screen exactly what your camera sees along with the camera name, battery life, camera controls, Wi-Fi signal and the mode and resolution. You will also have a shutter button for taking photos and the option of turning on or off the live preview. Honestly I don’t know why you would want to have the live preview off, but they do give you that option to turn it off.
● Remotely control your HD HERO 2 or HERO 3’s settings and features
● Video Preview allows you to get those perfect shots easy
● Compatible with most smartphones and tablets
● Easy to use
● Can fully control your camera
● Update needed for camera software before using the app
● Slight delay with live preview
All in all, the GoPro App is a gem, it’s very easy to use and it doesn’t cost any extra money. If you’re in the market for an app that can remotely control your camera so you can get those perfect shots, you can’t go wrong with the GoPro App. While there is a slight delay in the live preview it isn’t enough to take away from the benefits of the app and it comes highly recommended by the many people who have used it.